898 Elmwood Lane
About this property
Through the year's Elmwood was first known as the "Giboney Place" after the original family that owned it since they laid claim in 1797. Alexander and Rebecca Giboney traveled from territory now known as West Virginia, down the Ohio River and crossed the Mississippi River at Cairo, landing above New Madrid at Byrd's Point. Alexanders brother-in-law established in the new territory in 1795, just after Lorimer settle in 1793. They built and lived in a one room "cabin", later building a larger frame homestead. Mr. Giboney died in 1804, and Rebecca Ramsey continue managing the plantation, originally 400 Arpens until her death in 1840. Her son Andrew Giboney began building the large brick manor house in the mid 1840's. His only surviving child, Mary Hunter Giboney returned home at the end of the civil war, and began active management of the place. Mary married Louis Houck and they continued living with her father until his death in 1875.
Features and Additional Information
Schedule a Private Showing
Presented By Coldwell Banker Professional Associates
| Cape Girardeau County | None
Schools in the Area
Elementary SchoolJefferson Elem.
Middle SchoolCentral Jr. High
High SchoolCentral High